Course learning goals:
The overarching learning goal is being able to mitigate and solve sustainability problems. Learning takes place in a variety of ways: by self-study but also by learning from peers.
The course comprises of five key competencies to be developed and assessed during the course. These key competences are also part of the CDIO-framework that is guiding the studies at Turku University of Applied Sciences. Additionally the students will learn more about sustainable development.
Key competences developed on the course:
1. Creativity competence: Having completed the course, the student is able to combine knowledge from different fields to come up with novel solutions to sustainability problems. Student is familiar with different creative problem-solving tools.
2. Initiative competence: This project course is a flexible model for learning that does not offer straightforward answers but motivates the students to work towards goals and take responsibility of their work and learning.
3. Systems thinking competence: Having completed the course, the student is able to understand structure and dynamics of complex systems related to solving sustainability challenges in a real-life project. Student can describe given sustainability challenges from multiple perspectives. Students have improved their critical thinking.
4. Strategic competence: Having completed the course, the student is able to create transition and intervention strategies to enact change. Student understands the basic principles of project management and can plan and lead a project from beginning to end. Student feels comfortable using different project management tools and understands the basics of working with companies and other stakeholders. Student is able to reflect on, and deal with, possible risks. Student is able to manage expectations and anticipated results of projects.
5. Interpersonal competence: After the course, the student has developed his/her communicative and collaborative skills. Student is able to organize and manage working in a multi-disciplinary team of individuals. Student understands the basics of projects’ internal and external communications. Student can apply collaborative working methods in his/her work.
Course level: Master
Pre-requisities: Climate.now, Sustainable.now, Circular.now or similar knowledge Scope: 5 ECTS
Available languages: ENG
Authors: The course is done in collaboration of Turku University of Applied Sciences, Metropolia University of Applied Sciences, LAB University of Applied Sciences and Helsinki University.
Where to study: You can study the course at the Turku University of Applied Sciences (course code TE00BR31-3002), Metropolia University of Applied Sciences (course code XX00DW15-3003), LAB University of Applied Sciences (course code LA00BU68-3002 /AMK and LA00BU68-3003 /YAMK) and Helsinki University (course code ATM380).
Link to material: https://digicampus.fi/course/view.php?id=1125